Installing and Using a Departmental Printer on Windows XP
Follow these instructions to install and use a departmental printer in Windows XP.
Installing a Departmental Printer
- Click the Start button and click Settings and then click Printers and Faxes.
- Click "Add a printer"
- Select "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" and click Next.
- Select "Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this option and click Next)" and enter the printer name. The printer name will be similar to "\\printers\dept-printername". (Be sure to include "\\printers\" before the name of the printer). Click Next.
- The printer will be installed on your computer. If you want this printer to be your default printer then place a checkmark in "Set as the default printer". Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- The printer will appear in your list of printers and be available in applications.
Printing to a Departmental Printer
- Click on the File menu and select Print.
- Select the desired printer and click OK.
- The printer will print your document.