History 310: Discussion Leading Assignment
For this assignment, each of you will be expected to lead, with a partner, part of the class discussion.
- Begin by getting together with your partner, and determining what you think is important in the reading.
- Formulate at least four major questions that you plan to introduce for discussion.
- Develop follow-up questions to engage the class as you work through your major questions. Thus for each of the major questions, have a sense of what you want to ask in order to let the discussion develop further.
- Be prepared for the discussion to go in directions you hadn't anticipated. You should not be too controlling, nor should you allow significant digressions.
- The following considerations will make it easier to handle this assignment:
- Avoid yes or no questions.
- Questions of a factual nature should be supporting questions only.
- Identify issues in the reading that are able to develop into a good discussion.
- Get a sense of how you and your partner will do this together.
- Above all, have fun!
Laurel Carrington email@example.com
Most recent update: March 15, 2012